Thursday, September 1, 2011

I really want to work in another country when I graduate. Possibly Italy? How realistic is this


I really want to work in another country when I graduate. Possibly Italy? How realistic is this?
I am either going to major in political science and then get my MBA or major in accounting and get my MAcc, then get my CPA license. I do not speak Italian, although I could go to school for an additional year and learn if necessary (funds are not a problem). How hard would it be to land a decent job in a European country, specifically Italy?
Immigration - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Realistic without speaking the language .... It will never happen
2 :
If I were you I'd be worried more about getting a job at all.
3 :
You will have to have a job before you get there.
4 :
It would not be unrealistic at all if you are able to learn the Italian language. In fact, it will make it easier to get a job anywhere if you can speak more than one language. Being bilingual is a very powerful tool that can be used to gain an advantage in the employment world.
5 :
I have a degree in polisci, and after I graduated I worked in England with a BUNAC work permit. It allows college students and recent graduates to work in a handful of countries from 6-12 months (depending on the country) and enjoy the same work rights as a citizen. The permit, I believe, cost me $290. However, Italy is not one of those countries. http://www.bunac.org/ You could always join the Peace Corps. With a polisci or accounting degree you could teach English, provided that you attained 3 months' worth of tutoring/teaching experience before departing. My friend is currently doing this in Ukraine. All that being said, if your choice is between polisci and accounting, I would suggest you go with accounting. A degree in accounting will offer you more opportunities than a degree in polisci, and you could still go on for an MBA with a degree in accounting.
6 :
Its almost impossible to find work in a European country if you don't speak the language. Put simply all the paperwork, meetings and client conversations are going to be in Italian, so if you don't speak the language there isn't really much of a role for you. Even for companies with foreign clients they would want someone who was bilingual, which many Italians are. Some multinational companies though operate in English, and hire English speaking staff. The best bet for getting such a position would to get a job with some such company in America, and then apply for a transfer to their Italian branch. This is fairly common in the financial and insurance sectors, at least.
Read more discussion :